हमारे YOUTUBE चैनल को सब्सक्राइब करें !
Expenditure on maintenance including tires for an average fleet owner is roughly around 6-7%.
The government initiated lockdown led to a complete disruption of the logistic market. Fleet movement across the country came to a sudden halt. With relaxation in lockdown regulations, trucks that had been stranded for months, started moving again.
Implementing proper maintenance parameters can thus help you save costs by 40%?
Let’s discuss some preventative maintenance tips:
Annual Maintenance: Maintenance of engine, regular oil changes, battery, brakes, steering systems, mirrors & lights; all are a part of an annual maintenance contract.
More than 50% fleet owners do not have annual maintenance contract that can help them get free maintenance year long for a fixed amount.
Tires: 9% of accidents are caused due to poorly maintained tyres. Out-of-balance tires can cause some serious driver health problems. Underinflated tires can lead to unwanted costs.
- Maintaining proper air pressure with respect to load being carried is important. Also, tire condition and pressure should be checked before each trip and weekly in general.
- Tire alignment should be regularly checked. This includes checking irregular wear on tires, front axle toe-in angle and checking vehicle alignment after 30,000 to 40,000 km.
- Tires depth should be check at regular intervals and retreading tires can increase their overall life by 2.5 times at least
Lubrication: Proper greasing vehicle parts, especially kingpins and U-joints, can save from additional wear and tear.
Starting and Charging systems: Ensuring if batteries, starters, alterations, cables and connections are in working order can help you save costs. Remove, clean and load test the battery at every preventive maintenance session.
Brakes: Inspection of both brakes and brake strokes should be done. Inspection of air disc brake rotors, drum breaks, tappet boots and guide pin boots for cracks or tears is important.
- Check for signs of uneven wear.
- Make sure the pressure of air springs is even on both sides.
- Also, make sure nothing is coming in contact with suspension.
Exhaust systems and coolants: Regular cleaning of Diesel particulate filters (DPF) and regularly checking the condition of the coolant can help protect our engine from overheating or freezing.
Proper Driver Behaviour: No one knows better as to what is happening to a truck than its driver. Following parameters should be checked regularly by the driver:
- On-the road brake inspection.
- Screeching of brakes or a rough idling engine can cause jerks while driving.
- Regularly checking tires and tire pressure.
We are currently providing assistance in Truck Maintenance & Repairs at pan India level, where one can easily find and approach the nearest repair shop or mechanic for assistance. To learn more about how this works, check out the Food, Shelter and Maintenance category on our help portal.